The other week, Brooke and I had an amazing dinner at Clarke’s of North Beach. To finish off the night we were served an incredible deconstructed Lemon Meringue Pie and Lemon Pudding. The pie embodied everything there is to love about lemon desserts. The lemon filling was tangy, and the sweet meringue balanced the sharpness of the lemon beautifully. This delightful lemon dessert set the wheels of inspiration in motion for us to attempt making our own easy lemon curd recipe at home.
With an abundance of lemons we had at the house which had been given to us from some friends it was decided we must make lemon curd!
When making lemon curd (or any lemon dessert) always try and use home grown lemons. Yes, the ones in the shops look amazing, but they have nowhere near enough flavour! That’s the best piece of advice we have for anyone attempting to make their own lemon curd.
When thickening the curd, you want it to be thick enough to coat the back of the spoon or whisk. This super easy lemon curd recipe is something anyone can master at home.
If you are looking for something to go with your lemon curd on then try our cranberry and apricot hot cross buns.
Easy Lemon Curd – Recipe Instructions
- 2 eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
- ¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
- ⅓ cup (80g) chilled unsalted butter
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- Whisk whole eggs, yolks and sugar in a saucepan until smooth, then place pan over a low heat.
- Add the butter, juice and zest and whisk continuously until thickened.
- Strain through a sieve into a bowl or jar. The curd will continue to thicken as it cools. Lemon curd will keep for two weeks in the fridge when covered.