When life gives you lemons… you need to make this easy Belgian lemon tea cake recipe!
One of the single greatest things about spring, in my opinion, is LEMON dessert in all shapes and forms. So enter this new luscious Belgian lemon tea cake. It’s not going to blow the roof of the internet or anything. No bells and whistles and extra fancy things. It’s just a basic lemon curd tea cake – with just the right amount of density and weight, and golden crumbs on top, incorporating that zingy lemon-cake taste. Basic, full of lemony flavour throughout, and so, so good.
So, the lemon tea cake.
Brooke’s mum introduced her to this lovely Women’s Weekly recipe for a Belgian lemon tea cake. It is a delicious tea cake, with a lemon curd filling. It is not a difficult recipe; in fact, it is very simple. In addition I should point out that I could eat the whole thing myself, if allowed. As in, the whole cake. A little piece here, and a little piece there, and three more pieces after that. Next minute it would be gone. It’s that good!
Don’t be daunted by the thought of making lemon curd, it really is quite easy. The cake mix is actually more like a pastry base which you press two-thirds of the mixture into the base of a greased tin and then add the lemon curd – almost like a pie. Finally, sprinkle some of the remaining cake mixture on top. The sweetness of the pastry on top of the tea cake compliments the zingy, lemon curd filling.
This luscious Belgian lemon tea cake looks more complicated than it really is. The cake has a wonderful combination of flavour and texture, and something I crave as soon as I see a tree full of lemons.
If you like this recipe – then check out our other dessert and sweets recipes – like our recipes for no-bake mars bar slice, ginger-nut biscuits, easy raspberry friands, blueberry and lemon loaves or easy banana cake.
Belgian lemon tea cake recipe instructions
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 60g butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 60g butter chopped
- Preheat oven to moderate 180c.
- Brush a 17cm shallow round tin with melted butter and line the base of the tin with baking paper.
- Sift self-raising flour into a bowl, and add sugar and stir well to combine. Add butter and rub in with finger tip until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre and stir in egg to form a soft dough.
- Press ⅔ of the dough into the prepared tin.
- Pour over hot lemon curd filling. Crumble small pieces of the remaining dough over the lemon curd filling. Bake for 30 minutes and cool tin.
- To make filling – place all ingredients in small pan. Stir constantly over a low heat until the mixture boils and thickens.